ZyCoV-D® is the world’s first plasmid DNA vaccine for human use that has been developed in India and given restricted use license for emergency situation.1-3
ZyCoV-D® is indicated for active immunisation of individuals ≥12 years old for the prevention of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). ZyCoV-D® vaccination schedule consists of 3 separate doses to be given at an interval of 28 days each (day 0, day 28 and day 56). Each dose consists of two shots of 0.1ml each given by needle free injector (PharmaJet Tropis device) via intradermal route at two separate sites (preferably deltoid region of both the arms). The vaccine should be stored at temperatures ranging from 2° to 8°C and should never be frozen.4
ZyCoV-D® Important Reminders
What should you mention to your healthcare provider before you get ZyCoV-D® vaccine?
Tell the healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including:
- If you have ever had a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) after any drug, food, any vaccine or any ingredients of ZyCoV-D® vaccine
- If you have fever
- If you have a bleeding disorder or are on a blood thinner
- If you are immunocompromised or are on a medicine that affects your immune system
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- If you are breastfeeding
- If you have received another COVID-19 vaccine
You should consult your healthcare provider before deciding to take the vaccine.
Who should not get ZyCoV-D® vaccine?
You should not get ZyCoV-D® vaccine if you:
- Had a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of this vaccine
- Had a severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of this vaccine
- Had a severe allergic reaction to any other vaccine
What are the benefits of ZyCoV-D® vaccine?
In ongoing clinical trials, ZyCoV-D® vaccine has been shown to prevent covid-19 disease following 3 doses of 2mg each given 28 days apart. The duration of protection against COVID-19 disease is currently unknown. You may get protective immune response 28 days after the 3rd dose of ZyCoV-D® vaccine.
The world’s first needle-free vaccine for COVID-19
ZyCoV-D® How it works
ZyCoV-D® vaccine comprises of a DNA plasmid vector carrying region expressing SARS-CoV-2 spike(S) protein.13
Plasmid DNA are circular DNA that are found only in bacteria. These are different from the DNA present in our cells. This means that plasmid DNA cannot be inherited or passed on from one generation to another, unlike the DNA found in our cells. Researchers can insert DNA fragments or genes into a plasmid vector, creating a so-called recombinant plasmid.9, 10