Game changing tips to maximize your results while training at homeAnuj Mehta
You want to stay on track with your fitness or start your fitness journey but you feel stuck because of the lockdown? You somehow believe that it is impossible to actually get results while training at home?
Well, I have good news for you! The place of your workout does not matter much. As long as you are challenging yourself, you will see the results. It is not that complicated to design a program for yourself where you improve all components of your fitness while training at home.
Essential pre-requisites for home workouts
- Have weights in handy – First things first! Before planning anything, it is of utmost importance to figure out what do you have around you to use as resistance. If you access to buy equipments, I would recommend you to buy resistance bands and super dumbbell (one with detachable weights). If not, figure out what items do you have in household that can be used as weights. You can use a gas cylinder, a water bucket, bricks, a bagpack filled with heavy books and the list goes on. It totally depends upon how creative you can get.
- Create a workout vibe – This is really underrated, but dedicating a certain corner of your house and a particular hour of day for workout can really help you stay on track with your routine. Create a space with minimum distractions.
- Design an effective workout program – This is not as hard as most of us think it is. An effective program does not necessarily mean to do fancy exercises. On the contrary, I would say stick to the basic exercises but plan well in advance. An effective program would mean that you must know your plan of action in advance for the next 7 days at least. For example, you can plan to split your workout as follows – Day 1 – Pushing complex (chest, shoulder, triceps), Day 2 – Pulling complex (back and biceps), Day 3 – Legs, Day 4 – Cardio , Day 5 – Rest. So on and so forth. Key is to be clear about your future course of action.
- Keep challenging yourself – Every workout must be challenging to your current level of fitness. Whatever exercises you plan to do, make sure to use your maximum potential.
- Keep tracking your progress – This is crucial not only to keep yourself motivated but it also helps you identify in the long run what things are working for you and what are not. Hence, helps you eliminate inefficacy. Stay patient and give yourself at least 2 months before expecting changes.
- Warm-up and cool down – Irrespective of wherever you workout, a warm up of 8-10 minutes and a cool down of 5 minutes is extremely crucial for maximum results. Use dynamic stretches and mobility drills for warm-up and static passive stretches for cool down.
Some exercises for reference – I am listing top exercises to effectively train each muscle group.
Leg- Squats, front squats, overhead squats, lunges, step ups, hip thrusts, stiff leg deadlift.
Chest – Push-ups, incline push-ups, decline push-ups, dumbbell flies, scoops with resistance bands
Shoulder – Overhead strict press, side raises, front raises, prone high rows
Arms – bicep curl, hammer curls, triceps push-ups, rear dips, front dips
Back- Deadlift, Pull ups, Bent over rows, one arm rows, shrugs, superman holds
Core – Plank, side plan, mountain climbers, jack knives, crunches, side to side toe touch.
Pick up exercises from this list and design your own workout. The more you learn, the more you engage. Hence, long term results. No spoon feeding.
Once you begin the workout keeping intact the points we discussed above. I promise you will feel evolved physically as well as mentally.
All the best!